Our attorneys are veterans when it comes to successful representation of healthcare clients. We have wide and varied experience handling the complex and sensitive matters that arise for our corporate healthcare clients and individual physicians, pharmacists, and other healthcare providers.
Our team consists of former government officials who oversaw healthcare licensing boards and supervised the Assistant and Deputy Attorneys General who represent those boards and prosecute on their behalf. Our well-established relationships and credibility with those agencies and individuals, combined with our inside knowledge of how they operate, allow us to navigate effectively the wide spectrum of licensing and regulatory issues that arise in the ever-changing healthcare landscape.
We also have a deep understanding of the unique issues and strategies involved in matters presenting both criminal and civil concerns. Increasingly in healthcare matters, board disciplinary actions and aggressive lawsuits by insurance companies go hand-in-hand with federal and state criminal investigations and prosecutions. Our team includes former Federal and State criminal and civil enforcement officials, who have overseen and prosecuted those criminal and civil/licensing matters for the government, and who now bring that experience and credibility to bear for our healthcare clients with overlapping criminal and civil concerns.
When it comes to strategic planning, we excel in assessing and addressing potential legal risks for healthcare providers and practices of all sizes, and working with those clients to institute effective policies and procedures to avoid future problems.
We regularly defend and advise healthcare clients in matters involving:
- Federal and State False Claims Act
- Stark Law
- Codey Law
- The Anti-Kickback Statute
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”)
- State licensing regulations
We are proud of our strong track record of swiftly and favorably resolving high stakes criminal, civil, and licensing matters for our healthcare clients. While many of our engagements in this area cannot be made public, recent representations include:
- Defending registered nurse before the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs and State Board of Nursing against patient-care allegations.
- Represented social worker before the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs and State Board of Social Work Examiners in obtaining licensure.
- Representing a not-for-profit private healthcare conglomerate operating hospitals and healthcare facilities throughout New Jersey and New York in securing necessary licensing from the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs and State Board of Pharmacy.
- Representing a private university in securing necessary approval from the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs and State Board of Medical Examiners to open the State’s first private medical school.
- Successfully obtained dismissal of criminal charges against a physician in a multi-million dollar kickback prosecution conducted by the New Jersey Attorney General and Insurance Fraud Prosecutor.
- Successfully obtained deferred prosecution and eventual dismissal of a physician charged with accepting bribes and kickbacks by New Jersey’s Insurance Fraud Prosecutor.
- Representing a prominent healthcare provider in avoiding federal and state tax fraud charges.
- Defending family medicine physician before the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs and State Board of Medical Examiners against allegations of indiscriminate prescribing.
- Successfully resolving patient-care allegations prosecuted by the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs and State Board of Medical Examiners against a physician.
- Representing multiple dental practices in investigations by the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs and State Board of Dentistry for licensing and billing irregularities.
- Developing and instituting compliance program for a multi-office healthcare practice.
- Serving as compliance counsel to a medical doctor and his telemedicine practice.